For your safety, every effort has been made to ensure that this information is correct. However you should contact the local DOC visitor centre for the latest updates.
On this page:
We welcome any further reports of windfalls or track damage from visitors following the Easter 2014 storm.
Contact the Nelson Visitor Centre +64 3 546 9339 or the Waitohi/Picton Office +64 3 520 3002.
- Nydia Track. Windfalls are present on the track over the Nydia and Kaiuma Saddles. All are passable with care however visitors need to allow additional time to walk or cycle the track.
- Pelorus Track. Windfalls are present on the track: Extensive windfall between Rocks Hut and Totara Saddle: Only experienced trampers should attempt it and they should carry navigation equipment. Between Totara Saddle and Roebuck Hut: Passable with care however trampers need to allow additional time to walk the track.
- Elvy Waterfalls and Trig K tracks, Pelorus Bridge Scenic Reserve. Windfalls are present on the tracks, between the two waterfalls on the Elvy Waterfalls track and also on the Trig K track.
- Pest control operation: DOC has hand laid 1080 toxic baits on the Bottle Rock Peninsula between Ship Cove and Resolution Bay. Bait will not be applied within 5 m of the Queen Charlotte Track, which passes through the area, or within 20 m of the Schoolhouse Bay campsite.
Warning signs are in place and dogs are to be kept out of the area until the warning signs are removed. The signs will be in place for at least 4 months and up to 8 months depending on monitoring results.
This is part of a project to develop our ability to prevent rats and possums reinvading an area without the use of predator fences.
- Momorangi Campground upgrade work to 5 November 2014: As part of the upgrade of the facilities, two new toilet/shower/kitchen blocks are being constructed as well as major landscape and infrastructure work. Builders, contractors and associated machinery will be onsite during this time.
The boat launching area and western foreshore are still accessible to the public however there are no toilet facilities on the foreshore. The main toilet/kitchen and shower block and campsites on the road and uphill side of the camp are operational and campers/day visitors are welcome in these areas. The shop/cafe is closed until Labour Weekend and there is a camp manager onsite.
Update 17 September: The construction is now affecting power and water supply. A small number of campsites close to the small toilet block (2 x toilets and handbasins only) at the rear of the camp are the only ones available. Showers will not be available for the next week. Construction work and machinery starts at 7 am Monday to Friday.
Campers may wish to stay at the nearby standard Aussie Bay DOC campsite as an alternative.
We apologise for any inconvenience. Obey all signage and the instructions of staff and contractors.
- The track between Ship Cove and Kenepuru Saddle is closed to mountain bikes between 1 December and 28 February annually. The rest of the track between Kenepuru Saddle and Anakiwa is open to mountain biking year round.
For more information contact the Picton i-SITE.
- Pine Valley Hut - destroyed by fire June 2014 (grid reference: Topo50 map sheet BQ27, E1642098, N5406503)
- Mt Duppa Road - this road has been reduced to 4WD vehicles only and is very narrow in places.
- Boulder Stream Hut (grid reference : Topo 50 map sheet BR25, E1611206, N5386812), has been removed from its site at Manuka Island, Mt Richmond Forest Park.
- Wakamarina Track: Check for access information to the Wakamarina Track.
- Maungatapu Road is closed. For more information contact Nelson City Council, phone +64 3 546 0200.
- Right Branch Wairoa Hut has been removed and the tramping track in that valley is no longer maintained.
- Access to Saddle Hill, Zig Zag and Pukatea tracks in Mt Richmond Forest Park off Central Road in Hira Forest are closed due to forestry operations.
- Park access roads - in Blenheim, this info is displayed on Northbank Road just off SH6. Check if the access roads to Mt Richmond Forest Park are open.
For more information contact the Wairau / Renwick Office.
- Moleworth Road is closed. The open season is Labour Weekend until Easter Monday.
- The gate on the Rainbow Road between Hanmer Springs and St Arnaud is closed. The open season is from 26 December to Easter Monday.
- Outside the open period contact the Rainbow Station Manager on +64 3 521 1838 after 6.30pm to arrange access through the station to 4WD, tramp, hunt, fish or mountain bike.
Access forms and further information can be found on the Lone Star Farms website. Please note toll charges apply all year round.
- Due to the continuous wet weather and unstable ground, the section of track from the end of the disabled walk at South Bay to the top of the hill is closed. 22 April 2014.
back to top