On this page:
For your safety, every effort has been made to ensure this information is correct. However, you should contact the local DOC visitor centre for the latest updates.
Changes to weather will affect conditions in the backcountry. Always check the latest weather report on the Metservice website before you venture out and be prepared to change your plans if conditions are unfavourable.
Your safety is your responsibility. Make sure you plan, prepare and equip yourself for any trip into the backcountry. To report any safety hazards or conservation emergencies call DOC HOTline – 0800 362 468. For fire and search and rescue call 111.
Note: This notice only reports on changes that differ to what is stated in brochures and on the website. Other tracks, facilities and services in Marlborough are operating as normal.
Queen Charlotte Track
- The track between Ship Cove and Kenepuru Saddle is closed to mountain bikes between 1 December and 28 February annually. The rest of the track between Kenepuru Saddle and Anakiwa is open to mountain biking year round.
- Over the summer season water cannot be guaranteed along the track so carry sufficient water with you, especially along the ridgetop section between Kenepuru and Torea Saddles.
- Mt Furneaux / Ship Cove Possum Control operation is happening in May 2013. Check if this is affecting your planned trip.
- Nelson Marlborough Pesticide Summary (PDF 289K)
For more information contact the Picton i-SITE.
Mt Richmond Forest Park
- Mt Duppa Road - this road has been reduced to 4WD vehicles only and is very narrow in places.
- Boulder Stream Hut (grid reference : Topo 50 map sheet BR25, E1611206, N5386812), has been removed from its site at Manuka Island, Mt Richmond Forest Park.
- Wakamarina Track: Access via Kiwi Road (Northbank) is closed. Access in the Northbank is via Bartletts Road.
- Maungatapu Road is closed. For more information contact Nelson City Council, phone +64 3 546 0200.
- Right Branch Wairoa Hut has been removed and the tramping track in that valley is no longer maintained.
- Access to Saddle Hill, Zig Zag and Pukatea tracks in Mt Richmond Forest Park off Central Road in Hira Forest are closed due to forestry operations.
- Park access roads - in Blenheim, this info is displayed on Northbank Road just off SH6. Check if the access roads to Mt Richmond Forest Park are open.
For more information contact the South Marlborough Area Office.
Wairau Hanmer Hydro Road (Rainbow Road)
- The gate on the Rainbow Road between Hanmer Springs and St Arnaud is now locked. For access visitors should contact the farm manager on 03 521 1838. For more information on the road please visit the Lone Star Farms Ltd website.
Other track and useful information
- The DOC house at Moawhitu in Greville Harbour, D'Urville Island was destroyed by fire in June 2012. The nearby campsite is still open.
- Patutu route, Okiwi Bay Scenic Reserve in Kaikoura is closed due to an impassable slip on the track.
back to top