Mt Richmond, Northbank routes
Quartz Creek/Mount Royal
Time: 4 hr one way
This track, accessible from Bartletts Road (off Fabians Valley Road), climbs steeply through the forest to the summit. There are no markers above the bush line. From the bushline on the northern side another marked route descends to Devils Creek Hut in the Wakamarina valley.
Marked and unmarked routes lead up to the Richmond Range from Goulter Valley and Lake Chalice. These make various circuits possible. You need good fitness and route-finding experience.
The northbank of Wairau River provides access to Mt Richmond Forest Park.
To get to this part of the forest park, turn off State Highway 6, just north of the Wairau River Bridge, 16 km from Blenheim.
There is no scheduled public transport available.
A permit is required - contact DOC South Marlborough, ph: +64 3 572 9100. Dogs must be on a leash at all times.
Dog access in South Marlborough
Plan and prepare
- Snow, wind, and fog are hazards on the tops.
- Be prepared with warm, waterproof clothing and extra food.
- Only undertake the Chalice-Goulter Track or the Mt Patriarch Track if you are an experienced and fit tramper.
- Only light fires in hut fireplaces.
- Rivers can rise quickly; do not cross when they are swollen.
- Boil, filter, or treat water for drinking.
- Always use the intentions books.
Mt Richmond Forest Park access
Check if the access roads to Mt Richmond Forest Park are open.
back to top