Camping care code
Be a careful camper and practice ‘no trace’ camping.
- Choose your campsite carefully; set up your camp on firm, high or sandy ground. Only camp in designated areas. Please do not camp where camping is not permitted.
- Be tidy and always leave campsites clean. Take your rubbish with you if bins are not provided. Food scraps attract vermin.
- Use a cooker, fireplace or BBQ. Light fires only where permitted, collect dead wood and keep the fire small. Soak the fire with water before you go.
- Detergents, soap and toothpaste can harm aquatic and marine life. Use biodegradable products and wash in a container well away from the water.
- Always use toilets provided. There are toilets at all DOC campsites. When camping elsewhere follow the environmental care guidance provided at www.camping.org.nz
- Motorhome or campervan users - please always dispose of waste at official dumpstations. If you don't have a toilet onboard, please camp where there are toilet facilities. Do not dispose of waste in public places.
- Campgrounds are social places but everyone needs some rest and relaxation. Please respect the rights of others for quiet enjoyment of the outdoors.
- Pay your fees to help keep campsites available in the future.
- Always thoroughly clean your equipment before and after trips to minimise spreading weeds and diseases.
- Protect native plants and animals.
Toitu te whenua/leave the land undisturbed.
Freedom camping on public conservation land