You can cycle along the Rimutaka Rail Trail, which follows the route of the former railway across the Rimutaka Ranges, learning the history of the area and enjoying panoramic views along the way.
Recreational hunting is encouraged. Refer to hunting in Rimutaka Forest Park.
Strict dog control measures are in place since the introduction of North Island brown kiwi at Rimutaka Forest Park.
This brochure explains why dogs are such a threat to kiwi and advises where in the Park dogs are allowed with leashes or may be exercised without a leash. A map marks the area of the Rimutaka Forest Park closed to dogs.
Controlling dogs in Rimutaka Forest Park brochure (PDF, 797K)
Access to the Cattle Ridge road and Mid Slope road in the Catchpool Valley is now available outside logging operation working hours.
- Weekends: Saturday 13:00 – Sunday dusk.
- Weekdays: 18:30 – dusk.
- There is a combination padlock on the gate. Contact Peter Blaxter or the Catchpool field base if you require the combination.
- For a guide to open tracks refer to yellow highlighted route/s on the map.
- Horse riding is not permitted anywhere else in the Park.
- This access may be subject to change as logging in the area progresses. Please check the website for updates.
Please follow health and safety rules and guidelines
- Observe all instructions and signs from the logging crew.
- High Vis must be worn at all times while in the area.
- Be aware, as vehicles may be on the Cattle Ridge road at the same time as you.
For further information contact Peter Blaxter, Programme Manager Visitor Assets,
back to top