Buy a fishing licence
Get your new licence before your first trip for the season. The Taupo fishing season begins on the 1 July each year.
Purchase a fishing licence
DOC is piloting a new tool for buying fishing licences online. Try the new online purchase tool.
Or if you would like to buy in person: View a list of current licence agents where you can purchase a Taupo fishing licence
Fishing licence district
Licences are for the Lake Taupo district only and do not cover Fish & Game areas.
The Lake Taupo district is Lake Taupo and the tributaries flowing into Lake Taupo, including:
- Waikato River to Huka Falls
- Lake Kuratau
- Lake Rotoaira (an access permit is also required for this privately owned lake) *
Check that you are fishing in the Lake Taupo district, as described above, before purchasing a licence.
Fishing licence fees
Licences for the Taupo district are available in the following categories (all GST-inclusive)
2014 licence fees (1 July 2014 to 30 June 2015)
|Adult 24 hour
|Child 24 hour
*Access permits for Lake Rotoaira can be purchased from the following;
- Creel Tackle House and Cafe 189 Taupahi Rd, Turangi
- Turangi i-SITE Ngawaka Pl, Turangi
- The Store State Highway 1, Te Rangiita, Turangi
- Lake Rotoaira Campground State Highway 46, Lake Rotoaira, Turangi