Are you looking for a peaceful place to stay, away from the bustle of the city but with all of the modern conveniences?
The Pohangina River, which flows just beyond the boundary of Pohangina Base
Pohangina Base is a former DOC field centre nestled in some native bush above the western bank of the Pohangina River.
Pohangina Base is located on Pohangina Valley East Road, approximately 45 minutes drive from Palmerston North. From Ashhurst, drive north along Pohangina Road, then turn right onto Pohangina Valley East Road. As you pass the Highland Youth Camp on your right, Pohangina Valley East Road veers off to the right. Stay on this road for approximately 12 km. Pohangina Base is located on the right approximately 1 km past Takapari Road
Situated on the western bank of the Pohangina River, the lodge provides an ideal base for day trips into the Ruahine Forest Park via Takapari Road or to explore the Kahikatea Walk or Totara Reserve.
There are picnic tables on the grounds and access to the Pohangina River is a 15 minute drive away, via Piripiri bridge.
- 5 bookable bunk rooms
- Wood burner with firewood provided
- Electric oven and refridgerator
- Hot showers
- Flush toilets
- Camping sites
A communal kitchen is one of facilities available to Pohangina Base visitors
The open plan communal living area features kitchen (with a refridgerator and stove), a dining area and a lounger area, all warmed by a wood burner.
An example of the external bedrooms available for booking
Bunkrooms are available for sole occupancy. In total, there are 17 beds in five bunkrooms (three external, two internal).
Fees are paid per room (not per person), based on $10 per available bed-space, as follows:
- 2-bed room: $20 per night
- 3-bed room: $30 per night
- 4-bed room: $40 per night
- 6-bed room: $60 per night
Watch a video
Book Pohangina Base online, or contact:
Read the terms and conditions before you book.
Plan & prepare
- Mattresses are provided but you will need to take your own linen
- You must ring the DOC Palmerston North office to obtain codes for locks during the week of your booking. For bookings and information during weekends and public holidays, contact the Wellington Visitor Centre.