Catleys, Kauaeranga Valley
Water from stream
- Adult (18+ years: $10 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $5 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
- Number of tent sites - 30
- Maximum number of people - 100
Campsite near the river. There is a short historic walk that can be done from the campsite.
6.5 km north of Kauaeranga Visitor Centre, opposite Booms Flat campsite.
Follow the Kauaeranga Valley Road from Thames for 14km to the visitor centre. The campsite is 6.5 north of the visitor centre, first campground on the right past the visitor centre.
Grid reference: NZTM2000, E1836122-N5893347
- Closed for winter.
- Please pay camp fees at the Kauaeranga visitor centre.
- Open from October (Labour weekend) until 30 April.
Park or reserve
The Kauaeranga Valley has eight campsites beside the Kauaeranga River. Extensive kauri logging took place here and the native forests you now see are regrowth. The valley has plenty of walks, swimming spots and historic relics from logging days. Other activities include horse trekking, abseiling, rock climbing, fishing, picnicking, hunting and mountainbiking.