A tramper approaches Kahui Hut
- Adult (18 years and over): $5 per night
- Youth (11 years to 17 years): $2.50 per night
- Child (10 years and under): free
Purchase Backcountry Hut Tickets before you set out on your tramp.
Kahui Hut can't be booked - the hut operates on a first come, first served basis.
Located on Mt Taranaki's western slopes, Kahui Hut sits in a small clearing surrounded by native bush.
Inside Kahui Hut
Facilities and services
The hut has an outside toilet and cold running water (tank supply from rainwater). There is no heating.
You need to bring:
- Sleeping bag
- Food and drink
- Cooking stove and cooking utensils
- Clothing/tramping gear/toiletries
- Fire lighters and paper for the fire
- Toilet paper
- Hut tickets
Kahui Hut is accessible via the Kahui or Oaonui Tracks (allow 2 hr tramping from either road end). It is one of a series of huts along the challenging 54 km Around the Mountain Circuit.
Grid reference: Topo50 map sheet BJ29, E1687534, N5650048
Park or reserve
Plan and prepare