Rarangi Surf Club building
- Contains a large common room, open style bunkroom, toilet, shower, hand basin and kitchen.
- Heating is provided by a log burner in the winter, some firewood is provided.
- The kitchen is equipped with a gas oven and a four burner gas stove top.
- Refrigeration is provided, 226 litre fridge, 92 litre freezer.
- Hot water is available via gas califont.
- Solar powered lighting.
- Mattresses are provided in the bunkroom.
What to bring
- Gas bottle.
- Kindling wood.
- Sleeping bags, blankets and pillows.
Whites Bay is located on Port Underwood Road. Follow State Highway 1 to Tuamarina (9 km north of Blenheim or 20 km south of Picton).
Turn off and head east via Hunter, Pembers and Rarangi Roads to Rarangi and Monkey Bay.
From Rarangi/Monkey Bay the road climbs steeply over hills to Whites Bay.
Whites Bay and the historic cable station is sign posted down a short side road off Port Underwood Road.
Whites Bay from Picton on Port Underwood Road is not recommended for caravans.
Grid reference: NZTM2000, E1688402-N5417878.
Note: The lodge can be booked as accommodation by recognised community groups only.
The cost is $100 per night. Bunks for 10 people are provided. Greater numbers can be accommodated in the Whites Bay campsite at normal rates ($6 per adult and $3 per school age child).
Bookings are managed by the Rarangi Surf Club. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Know before you go
- No candles or naked flames.
- No driftwood to be burnt in the fireplace.
- Adult supervision is essential at all times.
- No smoking inside the building and on the veranda.
- Ensure the facility is left clean and tidy for the next users and check with the ranger before departure.