Read details...

Introduction

Take a walk to a redwood tree planted by Sir George Grey or a round trip to the Coppermine taking in many of the island's shorter walks.

Track overview

Walking and tramping

Easy: Walking track

Dog access

No dogs

About this track

Description

Redwood Track

Ruins of historic coppermine, Kawau Island.
Ruins of the historic coppermine, Kawau Island

Time: Mansion House - Lookout via Redwood Track 45 min one way

A shaded track through exotic pine forest and ferns, with a notable large redwood tree planted by Grey in 1864.

Take the track to Two House Bay and then head inland up the Redwood Track. Brick house foundations near the top of the track mark the dairy site and remains of two cottages associated with copper mining on the island in the 1840s and 1850s.

Dispute Cove Track to Coppermine

Time: Mansion House - Coppermine via Dispute Cove Track 50 min one way, or 60 min one way via inland route

This track follows the original route used by miners to get to work. There were once miners' cottages along the route as well as a village and school at Dispute Cove.

Walk to the lookout via Ladys Bay and follow the Dispute Cove Track to Dispute Cove. Part of the track's coastal section is impassable during very high tides. An alternative inland route back to the lookout follows an old coach road built for Sir George Grey. 

Coppermine round trip

Time: Mansion House - Ladys Bay - Lookout - Dispute Cove Track - Coppermine - Redwood Track - Two House Bay - Mansion House 2 to 2.5 hr

Take the track from Mansion House to Ladys Bay and continue on to the Coppermine via the lookout and Dispute Cove Track. Return to the lookout via Coach Road, the take the Redwood Track to Two House Bay. Follow the track from Two House Bay back to Mansion House Bay.

Schoolhouse Bay Road

Time: Schoolhouse Bay - Lookout 35 min one way

Picnicking.
Picnicking on the Mansion House lawn, Kawau Island

A public wharf at Schoolhouse Bay provides an alternative access point to the historic reserve.

Sir George Grey had a school built at Schoolhouse Bay for the children of his workers. The old schoolhouse, now much modified, can be seen from the wharf. It is privately owned and not open to the public.

From the wharf follow the road up the hill past private residences. Just beyond the houses is a short side track to a knoll with a small historic cemetery, the resting place of some early Kawau residents including copper miners and their families.

Schoolhouse Bay Road continues to a junction near the lookout, where there are several routes to choose from to return to Mansion House Bay. 

Know before you go

  • Track times are indicative only
  • Ensure you have plenty of time to complete your walk and catch the ferry.

Contacts

Tāmaki Makaurau / Auckland Office
Phone:      +64 9 307 9279
Email:   auckland@doc.govt.nz
Full office details
Tāmaki Makaurau / Auckland Visitor Centre
Phone:      +64 9 379 6476
Address:   137 Quay Street
Princes Wharf
Downtown
Auckland 1010
Email:   aucklandvc@doc.govt.nz
Full office details
Back to top