Manawatu volunteer opportunities
Find out about the range of volunteer activities, projects and roles currently available in the Manawatu Rangitikei area.
Hut warden opportunity
Find out about volunteering as a hut warden in the Ruahine Forest Park
One-off or fixed-term volunteer activities
Data entry - Hut log book records
Here's an easy, flexible indoor project for the winter.
Do you have:
- an interest in local recreation and/or history,
- the ability to decipher handwriting, and
- reasonable working knowledge of Excel spreadsheets?
We're capturing data from Ruahine hut log books, which will be used as an historic reference of recreation in the area. It may also be analysed to help support decisions about the provision of facilities in the future.
If this sounds like something you want to be involved in:
Regular or long-term volunteer activities
Coastal reserve pest control roster
We are looking for a team of volunteers to control pests at three important coastal forest remnants. Kill traps are the best method for controlling mustelids such as stoats and weasels, but they require regular monitoring. Volunteers are rquired to operate traplines in Omarupapako (Roundbush) Scenic Reserve on a monthly rotation.
- Check, clear, re-bait and re-set DOC 200 and DOC 250 kill traps
- Data collection
Number of volunteers: This will work best with a team of volunteers working on a rostered system.
Duration of work: One day per month ongoing
Fitness level: Medium: Capable of walking with a pack for 4 - 8 hours
Field work experience is required. The following skills and experience would be beneficial but on-site training will be provided.
- Trapping and baiting
- Bush navigation Pest identification
- Data recording
DOC will provide:
- Transport - either petrol vouchers for use of your own vehicle or a DOC vehicle (conditions apply)
- On-site training
- Field equipment (bait, trap tools, map, GPS, notebook)
Read the project description to find out more.
back to top