The Kiwi Trust

The kiwi is New Zealand's national bird, and its future survival is of great concern not only to New Zealanders but internationally.
In 1991, Bank of New Zealand joined forces with the Department of Conservation and the Royal Forest & Bird Society to establish the Kiwi Recovery Programme, responsible for conservation and management of kiwi in New Zealand. The many achievements of the Kiwi Recovery Programme include widespread community interest and greater participation in kiwi recovery nationally.

As the awareness about kiwi and efforts to save it have grown, so has the need for support. We have learned a lot, and we are making a difference, but more needs to be done.

Person holding kiwi. Photo: Kiwis for kiwi.
The Kiwi Trust has a new name, a new brand and fresh new approach

The Kiwi Trust has taken up taken up the mantle from BNZ Save the Kiwi Trust, operating under the new name of Kiwis for kiwi.  It's a new name, a new brand and a fresh new approach to increase support for kiwi recovery work, yet it retains the expertise, resources, connections and mission - to ensure that kiwi flourish in their natural habitat for generations to come.

Kiwis for kiwi operates in partnership with DOC, and Bank of New Zealand is continuing its support as a major sponsor. As BNZ Save the Kiwi Trust (formed in 2002), nearly $7 million has been distributed to kiwi conservation groups across the country.  The funding, which goes to both DOC and non-DOC kiwi projects, is vital, but it is not the only measure of success of this partnership.

Together, we have supported and guided the growth of kiwi recovery in a way that is more powerful than either of us could have done on our own. Thousands of New Zealanders have contributed to this cause over the years, and Kiwi for kiwi's role is to support them by raising and distributing funds.

To get involved go to the Kiwi for Kiwis website.

Video: Kiwis in your community

Related links


Find out more


To find out how you can get involved in conservation activities near you, contact your local DOC office