The Department of Conservation (DOC) is currently undertaking a partial review of the Westland Tai Poutini National Park Management Plan, that looks at access to the Franz Josef and Fox Glacier valleys.
Comments are invited on the draft Westland Tai Poutini National Park Management Plan partial review.
Comments close 4.30pm, Wednesday 20 February 2013
View the partial review document
Online: Download the partial review document (PDF, 3000K) - note that this is a very large file and may take time to download
Hard copy: You can view the document at the following locations:
- Department of Conservation (DOC) National Office in Wellington
- DOC Conservancy offices throughout New Zealand
- DOC offices located in Franz Josef, Fox Glacier and Hokitika.
Make a comment
Anyone may make comments on the partial review document, either as an individual or on behalf of an organisation. The comments form is available to download in both Word and PDF format:
Please return the completed comments form to:
Department of Conservation
The Westland Plan Review
PO Box 10-420
Attn: Kate Brooking
Fax: +64 4 471 3130
Background to the proposals
On 11 August 2012, the Department of Conservation notified its intention to partially review the Plan to address access issues to the Franz Josef and Fox Glacier valleys. Suggestions closed on 10 September 2012. In total, 24 suggestions were received. The Department has now considered those suggestions and proposes to partially review the plan to allow:
- the possible construction of formed routes beyond the current car parks to points near the terminal faces of both glaciers
- use of the routes by specialised vehicles operated by concessionaires
- changes to aircraft landing sites on the glaciers
- changes to the number of heli-hike landings
- changes to the numbers of people able to be guided onto the glaciers.