You can help pets
A domestic cat
You as a pet owner can assist in balancing the forces of nature and improving the chance of survival for native species. Here's how:
- Have your cat neutered or spayed so they can't produce unwanted kittens.
- Keep your cat well fed and have moving toys for it to play with, so it is less inclined to chase birds, etc.
- Keep your cat indoors overnight so nocturnal insects and lizards have free reign of your garden.
- Don't dump unwanted kittens and cats - either give them to the SPCA or ask a vet to put them down humanely.
- Provide your dog with a roomy pen/kennel where it can be happy and is not free to roam outside your property.
- Exercise dogs only in areas designated for the purpose -
- not on beaches
- not in estuaries
- not in reserves.
- Keep your dog on a lead.
- Be particularly aware of ground-nesting birds - such as kiwi, dotterel and oystercatchers - and keep dogs away from nesting areas.