The Adderley Head Signal Station was established in 1867 and operated until 1949. Learn the important role the station played in maritime transport. 17 June 2011 notice: This building is closed as it has suffered severe earthquake damage.
The original Akaroa Lighthouse started operation on the headland of Akaroa Heads in 1880. One hundred years later, it was moved down to Akaroa Township, after being replaced by an automated light.
Coton's cottage was built in 1864 by Bentley Coton. He and his wife Sarah Jane were amongst the first smallholder farmers in the Hororata district.
Dating back to 1886, Fort Jervois on Ripapa Island was originally built as a coastal defence. The site has been a quarantine station, a temporary prison for Te Whiti's followers, and a military fort through both World Wars.
Built in 1939, the Godley Head coastal defence battery is ranked as one of the top ten New Zealand coastal defence heritage sites.
On the hilltop east of Mt Pleasant in Christchurch you will find the remains of a World War II Heavy Anti-aircraft Artllery (HAA) battery.
Situated on a low saddle on the ridge between Mt Bradley and the Remarkable Dykes, the Sign of the Packhorse Hut stands.
back to top
CITES endangered species
DOC's 24 hour emergency hotline:
0800 DOC HOT (0800 362 468)
Call to report sick or injured wildlife, and whale or dolphin strandings.