The Adderley Head Signal Station was established in 1867 and operated until 1949. Learn the important role the station played in maritime transport. 17 June 2011 notice: This building is closed as it has suffered severe earthquake damage.
The original Akaroa Lighthouse started operation on the headland of Akaroa Heads in 1880. One hundred years later, it was moved down to Akaroa Township, after being replaced by an automated light.
Built in 1925, Bealey Spur Hut was used by musterers until 1978 when the land was added to Arthur’s Pass National Park.
NZ’s last stagecoach service offers visitors to Arthur’s Pass a window into the Wild West of backcountry travel.
Coton's cottage was built in 1864 by Bentley Coton. He and his wife Sarah Jane were amongst the first smallholder farmers in the Hororata district.
Located in Ruataniwha Conservation Park, the Dasler Bivouac was built in 1966 to accommodate wild animal control hunters.
A historic cemetery on Mesopotamia Station in the headwaters of the Rangitata River holds the last resting place of Dr Andrew Sinclair, Colonial Secretary to the New Zealand Government.
The East Ahuriri (Quailburn) Hut in Ahuriri Conservation Park was once part of Benmore Run. Built around 1880, the hut may have been used by shepherds and other farm workers.
Dating back to 1886, Fort Jervois on Ripapa Island was originally built as a coastal defence. The site has been a quarantine station, a temporary prison for Te Whiti's followers, and a military fort through both World Wars.
Built in 1939, the Godley Head coastal defence battery is ranked as one of the top ten New Zealand coastal defence heritage sites.
Hideaway Hut, tucked away in Ahuriri Conservation Park, has preserved our farming history in an interesting fashion.
St James Station, like many early larger Canterbury runs, is an amalgamation of several smaller runs.
Hooker Hut was built to provide shelter for climbers and outdoor enthusiasts who were crossing the divide or making trips to the upper reaches of Hooker Glacier.
Restored in 2004, Jacks Hut is located on state highway 73, about five kilometres from the township of Arthur's Pass.
Historic features in the Hakatere Conservation Park area include the Mt Harper Ice Rink and associated buildings - possibly the first purpose-built public skating rink in the Southern Hemisphere.
On the hilltop east of Mt Pleasant in Christchurch you will find the remains of a World War II Heavy Anti-aircraft Artllery (HAA) battery.
In 1939 the Government built five huts, including Number Three Hut, along an old 1860s gold miners pack track from Canterbury to the West Cost.
Visitors to the Quailburn historic site will find a woolshed, sheep-dip, homestead and some hut ruins dating from 1866.
Built in 1916 for commercial guiding to the Barren Saddle, Red Hut was used mainly as a mustering hut by the Huxley Gorge Station.
Early hydroelectric scheme fuelled hot dinners and 1920s comforts in the Southern Alps’ most famous hotel.
Situated on a low saddle on the ridge between Mt Bradley and the Remarkable Dykes, the Sign of the Packhorse Hut stands.
Alert: following the earthquake of 4 September 2010 the kilns are closed to the public. Built in the late 1800s, the Staveley Lime Kilns are excellent examples of early New Zealand industry. .
Situated in Craigieburn Conservation Park, Urquharts Hut has regional significance as a physical remnant of depression mining in the 1930s.
At Weka Pass Historic Reserve you can take a 40-minute walk to a large overhang shelter that features examples of early Māori rock art.
Conservation - all regions